Vaginal Hysterectomy - Overview, Procedure, Recovery Tips and More
The female reproductive system is a tremendously sophisticated system. Things may go wrong periodically, just as with any system. Surgery may be necessary when other therapies and treatments are unable to resolve a problem.
Vaginal hysterectomy is one such surgical procedure used to remove a woman’s uterus.
What exactly is a vaginal hysterectomy?
Surgery to remove your uterus (womb) and cervix (womb neck) through your vagina is known as a vaginal hysterectomy surgery. Your ovaries can be removed as well, it depends on age and family history .nowadays , fallopian tubes are prophylactically removed as its regarding as harbourers of ovarian cancer.
When is a vaginal hysterectomy required?
The indications of hysterectomy surgery are multiple:
- Uterine conservation methods are opted first. If failed , hysterectomy surgery is considered .
- vaginal approach is preferred as its less invasive and early recovery anticipated.
In recent era , approach from vagina could be by-
- V NOTES technique
- Traditional Vaginal hysterectomy
These two procedures requires expertise and special training .
Advantages are multiple:
- Quick recovery
- No scar over abdomen
- Less pain and less medications
- Regional anesthesia
- Less blood loss
- Early resumption of work
What happens during a vaginal hysterectomy procedure?
- Done under regional anesthesia / general anesthesia
- Vaginal incision and approach from below
- If large uterus , technique of coring done
How is the recovery period after a vaginal hysterectomy?
- Recovery is quick in most patients
- Discharged in 48 hours
- Normal activities can be resumed
- Avoid sexual intercourse for 6-8 weeks
- Avoid lifting weight
What results should you expect after a hysterectomy surgery procedure?
- Light vaginal bleeding or a dark brown discharge is typical for 4-6 weeks following surgery.
- Mild cramping pain
Some tips for a better recovery experience after your vaginal hysterectomy
- During the initial few weeks, you may experience mild vaginal bleeding.
- For at least 4 to 6 weeks, avoid lifting heavy weight.
- Avoid tampon insertion
- Avoid sex for 6-8 weeks.
- Start normal exercise like walking. Avoid squats.
- Normal work can be resumed in 2 weeks.
Choose Dr Divyatha for a safe vaginal hysterectomy procedure in Dubai
With over 17 years of experience, Dr Divyatha is a passionate gynaecologist and obstetrician in Dubai. She specialises in cosmetic gynaecology, high-risk obstetrics, laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, scarless surgery, and vaginal surgery. She has handled several complex cases and provides personalised care to every patient.
Schedule an appointment for an effective line of treatment!