Table Of Content
An ectopic pregnancy, also known as extrauterine pregnancy or tubal pregnancy, or when pregnancy occurs outside the womb (uterus). It occurs when a fertilized egg implants and grows outside the uterus cavity, mostly in a fallopian tube – 96% of the time. Other sites of implantation can be:
Urgent medical attention of healthcare providers is usually recommended as:
- It may be dangerous or even life-threatening
- It is only treatable by a medical professional
- It requires lab tests and imaging
Unfortunately, it’s not possible to save the pregnancy. It usually has to be removed using medicine or an operation.
Ectopic Pregnancy Symptoms
An ectopic pregnancy in Abu Dhabi doesn’t always cause symptoms and may only be detected during a routine pregnancy scan.
The symptoms may include:
- Pain in the abdomen
- One-sided pelvic pain
- Dizziness or fainting
- Rectal pressure
If the fallopian tube has split open (ruptured), it is very serious and surgical fallopian tube repair needs to be carried out as soon as possible. You may have the following symptoms:
- A sharp, sudden, and intense pain in your tummy
- Feeling very dizzy or fainting
- Feeling sick
- Looking very pale
A rupture can be life threatening, but fortunately they’re uncommon and treatable if identified quickly.
Connect With Us
How an ectopic pregnancy is treated
There are 3 main treatments for an ectopic pregnancy:
Expectant management – you’re carefully monitored and one of the treatments below is used if the fertilised egg doesn’t dissolve by itself.
Medication– an injection of a powerful medicine called methotrexate is used to stop the pregnancy from growing.
Open surgery is less common now.
Keyhole surgery (laparoscopy) is commonly recommended these days.
It is performed under general anaesthetic in one of the following ways:
- Salphingectomy – usually along with the affected fallopian tube is removed
- Salphingotomy – sometimes only the ectopic tissue removed and tube repaired
- Tubal Milking – only the products are milked out
- Latest vNOTES technique (scarless surgery) – wherein surgery is done through the vagina and no scar over the abdomen.
Dr Divyatha, who is one of the best doctors for ectopic pregnancy in Abu Dhabi, can offer both laparoscopy and even scarless techniques after discussing all the details and understanding the patient’s desires and preferences.